Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My Earthly Hero

Today on my way home from work, as I was crossing over the Warrior River I saw the barge being loaded...that took my mind back...way back...

I started thinking about my earthly hero...it was Edward Stewart...my Papaw...
LOL...everytime I looked at him as far back as I can remember...I saw Santa Claus...well, except for the beard and the suit...My Pap was Flannel Shirts and Khaky's...
He loved his family...he didn't have to buy me nothing to show his love...He just showed it...
He always took time to answer even the craziest questions...
He taught us to work...be honest workers...not just the older ones, us younguns too...
Oh sure at 5 I couldn't type...but he showed me how to wash flat plates and spoons...and even showed me how to splash the water just to make a mess and make the work fun...
We didn't have parks to go to...Mamaw's living room was just as good as outside for us grandchildren as far as he was concerned...what messes we could make...and the house was never empty...there was at one time in this ole house over 50 people and the meal...whew!!!  Yes I miss him...as I grew older people would say...Now, who is your Dad?  I said, Jimmy...Oh yeah Ed's boy...See I was the oldest Grand and being a girl didn't make no difference to Ed Stewart...why he would even play cowboys and indians just to watch me tie my brother up...Something a little funny...we never wanted for nothing cause what he gave us money couldn't buy...
A plain simple man...with so much common sense...I wish I had of paid more attention...He had three boys and a girl...think he was very picky over me and Aunt Jan...now his boys...LOL...he had just soon as tell them as not...and he sure got my Daddy told over me and Bo...
Yep...he was Ed Stewart as stubborn as Mamaw Jenny...his Momma...now that was a fine country lady...
I remember the day that my world changed and I started having depression as the age of 13...
Me and Bo, my brother wanted to come and see Pap one night to watch Lawrence Welk and Bonanza with him and Daddy was tired so he said we would go the next morning and sure enough after breakfast me and Bo got in the car and said, "OK come on..."
We pulled in Papaw's yard and Uncle Jerry met us outside crying...I knew my world was gone...
Papaw had died in his sleep and when I came in the house and saw him lying on the couch dead...My heart was still in time...that is the saddest first moment that I can remember...and then seeing my Daddy on his knees crying, and my Uncle Jerry and Pap's brother Uncle Johnny...It was horrible...Daddy went and got Mom...Papaw always loved her...he was a good father n law and she was like a second daughter...
But that was 13...at age 23, ten years later...I was working at a store on county line and as I started to close and go read the gas pumps...I saw him standing there shaking his head no...I rubbed my eyes and looked and he pointed for me to stay in the store...as I turned from the door five police cars pulled in and arrested three guys about to come in and rob and maybe even kill me...I looked out and Papaw was gone...
That is the last time I saw him...and I believe that God allowed him to come and help protect me at that moment...and let me see him one more time here on Earth...I just can't wait to get to Heaven...What a Day that will be...

PamzSpamz

2 comments:

  1. Oh Pam.. that filled my heart with so much love... I had a love for my grandparents to..on my mothers side .. my grandmother.. was my heart .. we lived with them from when I was 2 through 4 .. I spent many summers with them... they lived almost 3 hours away.. I spend many summers with them.. I learned about God .. in their home.. I felt they lived the Christian life .. she died first .. I was away.. living in Virginia and unable to attend her funeral .. When my grandfather died several yrs later .. I went knowing I needed the closure .. I want to be a good Gram-Me to my little ones.. I want them to know they can come to me about anything.. I want them to know God.. and to learn to trust Him with their lives...
    Thanks for sharing.. and caring... I Love you!
    Sister friend ...yep it's me.. LisaMe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a very special man...none stood as tall as him...A Giant!!!

    ReplyDelete